History of Burleigh Heads
Burleigh was inhabited by the Gombemberri tribe for over 5000 years. In May 1770, Sir Joseph Banks first discovered Burleigh Heads on the decks of the Endeavour. The town of Burleigh was founded in the 1873 as a stop for travelers featuring inns as well as a few restaurants. The Gombemberri tribe lived at Burleigh until the 1930’s when the tribe stopped holding sacred ceremonies on the headland and most of the Gombemberri people left. After this, extensive sand mining began in the northern section of Burleigh Beach, resulting in an enlargement of the beach front. If the headland itself was not put aside as a Public Reserve the vegetation on the headland would have been lost. The headland almost became a banana plantation but luckily the plans for the plant were cancelled. By 1947 the headland was officially a national park. In 1950 the old mining grounds in the northern Burleigh area were subdivided and sold for commercial purposes. Since then Burleigh has continued to grow with a population of 7600 and the building of Burleigh Beach Surf Lifesaving Club, the Burleigh Beach Tower, multiple restaurants and apartment buildings. Burleigh continues to be a popular tourist destination.